Sunday, November 1, 2009

Jerry Springer

What do you think about the Jerry Springer show? I have come to see this show as "trash TV". The topics and fighting is very disturbing to me as a viewer. It seems to me that the topics and characters chosen are out of the ordinary. The show has many viewers that really enjoy the chaos and arguments. I have never seen a positive topic or a happy couple or storyline. All of the stories are cheaters and lower class Americans without the class of the average American. I understand that entertainment must have a selling point but I think that it can be somewhat insulting to the class that they represent. The morals that they show are pretty much invisible or unknown. This shows me that we will sell anything that is false or degrading of another genre. The show represents the idea that cheating is okay and gives us the right to fight, argue or disrespect the other person. I have learned from my childhood that cheating is wrong and that people should not be unfaithful. I also believe that the person who cheats is the one to blame, not the person that they have cheated with. Here is a clip from Jerry's show. What do you think about the representation of class and behavior?

1 comment:

  1. I do not think that what Jerry Springer portrays is considered valuable or informative by many people. His show is to the talk show what the National Enquirer is to journalism. It's a joke. It's staged. And everybody with any common sense realized that. Yes he portrays gays and lesbians as comical, but he also displays the extremes of every relationship. It's not a realistic view. If you mention Jerry Springer in polite company many people laugh, sometimes it's funny "ha ha" sometimes it's more of a nervous chuckle. The mere thought that the people he invites on his show could be real makes us all a little uncomfortable. He preys on our insecurities and exploiting gays and lesbians is just one part of that equation. Maybe he is uncomfortable with his own sexuality and so teases others. Maybe he's just after the revenue his profane headlines generate. I think Jerry Springer's show should be on Comedy Central. I do not think that his views affect people in any sort of decisive way. On the other hand, if Oprah or Dr Phil preseneted gays and lesbians in the same way, that might be another issue since their audiences do take their shows seriously.

    ReplyDelete